A non-surgical technique of gently reshaping the front of your eye by using customised contact lenses worn overnight.
Some people find that wearing glasses in order to achieve clear vision can be an inconvenience. Perhaps they’re uncomfortable to wear, steam up at awkward moments or prevent you taking part in sporting activities?
You may have tried contact lenses and found them unsuitable due to dry eyes or too much hassle for daily use. Every day is a compromise between your personal comfort and convenience, and seeing clearly.
You know that having a vision problem can sometimes be a struggle to manage in a way which is convenient and practical. At times, wearing glasses can be great – the right glasses can flatter a face perfectly and can be worn as a fabulous fashion accessory.
Conversely, wearing glasses (as great as they can be) can stop you from seeing clearly while swimming or showering, and we know that lenses steam up and become uncomfortable to wear when we are playing sport or even cooking up a storm in the kitchen.
Daytime contact lenses are a popular solution for adults suffering myopia who don’t want to wear glasses, but these too can have their drawbacks. Wearing contact lenses in offices that have a lot of air-conditioning can really make your eyes feel dry and irritated. Let’s face it, red eye look during meetings is just not a good look.
- Orthokeratology Lenses, or Ortho-K can provide patients with complete freedom from glasses or contact lenses during the day and throughout waking hours. It’s a non-surgical, non-permanent solution which eliminates the discomfort and inconvenience of other vision-correction options, and allows users to experience clear vision on a daily basis.
- Orthokeratology is a technique which has been in use for over 50 years, and recent developments in research and technology have allowed for much higher accuracy, with predictable successes.
- Orthokeratology lenses are uniquely designed to be worn during sleep and removed upon waking. While the user sleeps, the lenses generate pressure in the eye, gently and temporarily reshaping the cornea to achieve the desired shape for clear vision.
- The specially-designed rigid lenses used for Orthokeratology are custom fitted, and can correct vision problems in patients suffering mild to severe myopia (up to -12.00), with or without astigmatism. As the effects are temporary, patients usually find that their daytime vision returns to normal after approximately 3 nights without wearing the Orthokeratology lenses, and for best results they should be worn every night.
- Orthokeratology Lenses is the ideal solution for anyone who hates wearing glasses, finds contact lenses unsuitable and doesn’t want to undergo surgery. The treatment is an easy and reversible alternative to traditional solutions to poor eyesight, and can transform the life of myopia sufferers.
Like any medical treatment, there are risks to be considered with Ortho-k
- There is always a small risk involved when any contact lens is worn. Although this is the case, it has been shown that hard lenses (which OrthoK are) have a lower risk of developing infections compared to soft lenses
- Pain, redness, tearing, irritation, discharge, or abrasion of the eyes can occur, but are temporary conditions, and after removing the contact lenses will result in improvement
- Because the effects of OrthoK are reversible, none of the risk factors of laser corrective surgery will generally apply to orthoK lenses.